Recipe #7: Vegetarian Moussaka
NUTRITION PER SERVING
- 2 aubergines, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 potatoes (400g), sliced
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 5 oz. (140g) tomato puree
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 10.5 oz. (300g) butter beans, drained
- 05. oz. (15g) moussaka herb mix
- 1 ¼ cups (300ml) skimmed milk (or plant based)
- 5.2 oz. (150g) cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C) and grease an oven dish.
- Cut the aubergine and zucchini into thin slices and the tomatoes into cubes. Peel and chop the onion and garlic. Peel the potatoes and also cut them into thin slices.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the onion and garlic for 2 minutes at high heat. Add in the tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes at medium temperature, stirring well.
- Next add the tomatoes, beans, moussaka herb mix, and milk, bring to the boil while stirring and simmer for 10 minutes at low temperature.
- Divide 1/3 of the sauce over the bottom of the oven dish and arrange half of the aubergine and half of the zucchini on top.
- Place half of the remaining sauce on top of the zucchini and sprinkle with half of the grated cheese.
- Arrange the remaining slices of aubergine and zucchini on top of each other. Top with the remaining sauce and cover with the potato slices, then top with the remaining cheese.
- Place the dish in the middle of the oven and bake the moussaka for 45 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot.