An appetite is the desire to eat food, this naturally comes from being hungry, but sometimes one can have an appetite due to a mental illness, boredom and chewing gum, to suppress your appetite means to remove this desire to eat, be it momentarily or for the rest of the day.
For reasons that could relate to weight/fat loss or strict counting of calories and macros, people may resort to appetite suppressing drugs because maybe they are the most effective or people don’t have knowledge of naturally suppressing foods which are generally low in calories and can aid in weight/fat loss goals due to this.
Otherwise, I have made this post to inform you guys of more cost-effective options in suppressing your appetite, in the form of foods which you can eat on a daily basis if you want to go throughout the day with less food to reach your calorie and macro goals, ultimately your physique goals.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR TO SUPPRESS APPETITE
- The texture or digestibility due to texture, if it is something that the body digests slowly, it ensures that you feel full for longer, so do some research on foods that the body digests slowly – known as low GI foods.
- Food that is high in soluble fiber dissolves in water which turns it into a gel-like material that lines digestive system walls and slows digestion due to this.
- High protein foods suppress appetite, I don’t know the scientific reason for it, but have experienced that if I am to eat protein before anything, the feeling of satisfaction really does set in before I eat the rest of the food.
- High fat foods are also filling, which is also due to their breaking down not being easily done in the body (slow digestion), but it is important to eat more unsaturated fats (plant fats) rather than saturated fats (animal fats) due to them being healthier. If you need more understanding of this and other macros, check out this post.
- The food you eat is more beneficial than the artificial supplements that you can get at pharmacies and supplement stores, therefore always look for natural appetite suppressants, more from food than drugs.
APPETITE SUPPRESSING FOODS
Dark chocolate has appetite suppressing qualities due to it having antioxidants. Antioxidants are substances that prevent oxidation in the body. Oxidation is chemical reaction that occurs producing free radicals that cause the body to be under oxidative stress (the cells get damaged if there are too many free radicals), there must be a balance between the antioxidants and free radicals.
It also tastes great, but like any chocolate, you shouldn’t eat too much because of the sugar that is in most chocolate, I have recently seen “no sugar” chocolates, but don’t know how true that is. Otherwise, dark chocolate is always a great snack to incorporate into your diet every now and then.
Cayenne pepper is a pepper that is usually used to flavour your food. It is quite spicy, but it’s said to be a moderately hot chili pepper. It contains qualities that suppress your appetite and also increases your metabolism which can add value to your goals of managing your calorie intake or losing weight and fat.
Water is probably one of the most viable ones in suppressing your appetite because as much as you may drink, you’ll never exceed your calorie intake and even sometimes can assist when you may crave those cheat snacks and meals suppressing your appetite.
I’ve found on days that I drink more water I tend to eat less food, because when I feel hungry, I just down a bit of water. If you also drink it after eating a plate of food and feeling still a bit hungry, you could drink it, because you could actually just be thirsty.
Oats is made of carbohydrates which burn slowly in digestion therefore when you eat them, you will feel fuller for longer after eating due to this. The high fiber content also makes you feel fuller faster.
Avocados are made out of healthy unsaturated fats which take awhile for the body to digest, so other than the fact that they are healthy plant fats, they also suppress your appetite due to this. It also contains fiber that can ensure you feel full as digestion is slowed, because of the type of fiber being soluble.
Coffee contains molecules that cause your appetite to decrease, besides that, it speeds up your metabolism and boosts your energy. When you feel you’re hungry during the day, enjoy a cup to remove your desire to eat.
The reason most people want to suppress their appetite is to lose weight/fat and there are many products out there being “natural appetite suppressants”, so just to be safe, rather get them from food products. I have put in more tips on losing weight/fat here.