There are healthy snacks that you probably haven’t tried because you didn’t know about them, but they can actually help you lose fat. These ones may be part of that group, but are actually great options for fat loss.
This list only includes snacks that are relatively inexpensive and easy to make, because they are ideal for when you are going to work or gym or just running a bit late and need something to snack on.
They are best for you if you are looking for low calorie options in helping you achieve your fat loss goals. They are based off of fruits and vegetables.
The Benefits of Eating Healthy Snacks
Healthy snacks are great additions to your diet to help you have a healthy relationship with food because you’re not restricting the amount of times that you eat. When you have healthy snacks you:
- Provide your body with more nutrients than if you were snacking on highly processed snacks
- Develop a healthy relationship with food
- Prevent getting hungry throughout the day and binge eating
The calories and macros of each snack are shown to help you add them to your diet. You will also see the benefits of adding them to your fat loss journey. The values will vary depending on your portion sizes and your local product brands.
1. Banana and Peanut Butter Bites
Banana and peanut butter together is something that I have known for awhile and have taken the time to play with this simple snack. You provide yourself with carbs, protein and healthy unsaturated fats and can either have it frozen or as is.
- You slice a medium-sized banana into equal sizes.
- Take a tablespoon or 15 g of peanut butter and spread equal portions onto one half of those slices.
- Take the other half and close it on top of the bottom half to make it into a small sandwich.
- Calories: 205 kcal
- Carbs: 28 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Fat: 9 g
When frozen you could put it into a blender and make it into a smoothie, which makes it easier to consume. I personally have it directly after I make it, because I usually have it as a pre workout snack for energy.
2. Cucumber and Tuna Bites
Cucumbers promote hydration and are high in nutrients. Tuna is a great addition that makes this snack high in protein. This makes it a perfect post-workout snack and helping you suppress your appetite. You can have the tuna as it is or make a mixture with a sauce (e.g. mayo) to make it tastier.
- Cut one cucumber into equal slices that are quite thick to make them stable enough to hold the tuna.
- Take a tin of tuna and rinse it out if it is preserved in liquid.
- Take 1 tablespoon or 15 g of mayo and mix it with the tuna.
- Spread the tuna & mayo mix onto each cucumber slice and you’re good to go.
- Calories: 240 kcal
- Carbs: 12 g
- Protein: 30 g
- Fat: 9 g
I personally enjoy it with some mayo because it is tastier and takes away the dryness of the rinsed tuna. The cucumber and tuna alone is very low in fat and as you can see, adding that mayo doesn’t have a massive effect on the fat content of the bites.
3. Carrot with Cottage Cheese
We all know of carrot cakes that get made with some cottage cheese frosting. Why not go for a healthier option? A carrot is a vegetable that is known to improve eyesight and high in Vitamin A. Cottage cheese is made from milk proteins that are taken from breaking milk into its components, this is why it is high in protein.
- Use 3 tablespoons or 45-50 g of full fat cottage cheese.
- Use 1-2 carrot sticks (peeled or unpeeled, it doesn’t matter). You can chop these into smaller pieces for convenience.
- Dip the carrot stick into the cottage cheese container and enjoy.
- Calories: 119 kcal
- Carbs: 8 g
- Protein: 8g
- Fat: 7 g
I have noticed that the full fat version usually has better taste. You can even choose a flavored option if you feel that you’d enjoy it more. You should always look for the option that is high in protein though.
4. Apple Slices and Peanut Butter
This is one I learned recently and I never wanted to try it at first. I also had a ‘comparison complex’ in that I thought, if I like banana and peanut butter, I cannot like apples and peanut butter. Much like people do with Messi and Ronaldo in football.
- Cut 1 medium apple into equal slices.
- Spread 1 tablespoon worth of peanut butter for all slices.
- Calories: 195 kcal
- Carbs: 26 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Fat: 9 g
The mix between the sweetness or sourness of apples and peanut butters’ nuttiness is a sensation that can’t be explained. You must try it for yourself to see what I mean.
What Makes These Healthy Snacks Good for Fat Loss
These are very simple snacks that don’t require effort in making them. 2 fruits, 2 vegetables and the other healthy foods make these a great options for fat loss because:
- Fruits and vegetables are low in calories and can be eaten in high volumes, which reduces the chances of you being in a calorie surplus and maintaining or gaining fat.
- Tuna and cottage cheese are high protein sources which helps with suppressing appetite and maintaining muscle. This can help you stay full for longer and prevent you from losing muscle when losing weight, respectively.
- Peanut butter is high in unsaturated fat which is healthy and good in reducing your blood fat (triglycerides).
These are important factors in helping you lose fat naturally and easily, because you must maintain a calorie deficit and ensure that you do it sustainably through eating mostly nutritious food and regular exercise.
These simple snacks are quick and easy to make, which allows you to do other things that are priority. They can help you control your calorie intake and achieve your fat loss goals through them being low in calories, suppressing your appetite, being high in protein and in healthy fats:
- Banana and peanut butter bites
- Cucumber and tuna bites
- Carrot and cottage cheese
- Apple slices and peanut butter
Do You Want More Fat Loss Tips?
If you want more fat loss tips, subscribe to Fitness As Tradition to receive fat loss tips directly to your email!